Offer Baystate physicians an optional tool (mobile app) that gives them an easy, fast, and compelling interface to CIS so they can (1) get more done in real-time, when they are not in front of a computer, and (2) improve hand-offs and care team collaboration, i.e. decrease pajama time, increase patient safety and care quality, increase productivity, and reduce the requests for scribes. Heather Sankey puts it this way:
"I think Praxify has the potential to streamline our ability to care for patients, access their record quickly, and document in a timely manner. I’ve now come to terms with using CIS on my iPad when necessary but [Praxify is better]. I’m excited about the possibility of a better platform for viewing the information. I would use it in the office, on rounds and in meetings where patients are being discussed."
It's a founding principle of TechSpring to involve end-users deeply in any innovation & deployment project. We are engaging with physicians to have a leading role. More than 80 physicians have helped this project forward at Baystate so far. Thank you to all!
--------------> Here is a quick Praxify demo video by Katie Barker: https://goo.gl/PCiCVG <--------------
Click Here To Download Praxify
What’s happening now?
We have concluded the 2017 Praxify Mira pilot and pilot extension. We have completed development, set-up and I&T sign-off on new Praxify 4.0 version based on improved (athenaHealth) back-end infrastructure. This version is now in production; we are receiving feed back including: better than original Praxify, works faster, small tweaks to application makes a big difference, faster to look up patient information than CIS. We continue to collect feedback.
We are now gradually making new Praxify available to select departments for inpatient and ambulatory use. We are starting with OB/GYN, and will soon engage with Cardiac Surgery, Cardiology, Pulmonary, Infectious disease, Cancer care, and NICU.
This is still limited release to collect feedback and build necessary processes for deploying and supporting a clinical mobile app at scale. We also need more data to make sure our CIS Mobility efforts do not impact our efforts towards overall CIS improvements and care standardization aversely.
Background on Praxify roll-out at Baystate Health
- This project is focused on the significant problem of EMR fatigue and physician burn-out. As such, it is one of many sub-projects to the larger EHRo (EHR optimization) initiative and Ambulatory IT Optimization.
- Praxify is an iOS (Apple) mobile app. It provides a better, faster user interface to consume data out of CIS, or take certain actions (notes, some orders, etc). It’s a ‘skin’ on CIS; CIS remains single-source-of-truth.
- Praxify will be rolled out as an optional tool available to those who find it useful. It is intuitive and training generally not needed, but we will offer help to learn key tricks you can do in the app.
- TechSpring Discovery project in 2016 created solid engagement with a broad group of physicians who gave feedback on the solution, and a technical proof of concept followed by a production pilot among 80 physicians in 2017 further proved the physician success.
If you are an interested user, read this ...
- Use of Praxify is optional for MDs or APs (with a CIS login) that find it helpful. At this time, we are still in limited roll-out, but we hope to soon open up broadly. Device costs, repairs, data-plans, etc are not reimbursed or financially supported by Baystate.
- Users may encounter wifi problems around Baystate locations. Chronic, significant problem-locations can be reported here. We are in the first year of a 3-year plan to make network upgrades which gradually should improve conditions.
- Use of Praxify requires deployment of security software (AirWatch) to your mobile device which allows Baystate I&T to remotely manage Baystate mobile apps like Praxify and Cortext, e.g. if device is lost.
- If passcode to your Apple device today is only 4-digits, the security software will ask you to create a new 6-digit code
- Physicians are finding Praxify useful for subset of EMR use across most specialities and practices, ambulatory and acute.
- If our user reporting shows us that you have not used the app for a period of time, we may ask your agreement to un-install, freeing up your license for another to use.
- If your device is lost or stolen, please notify us on this page.
If you are a Praxify user ...
- We are still in limited release, pilot mode, with a goal of collecting our feedback. Features may be added or removed at any time. There may also be times where the app is not available. Also, if CIS has downtime, Praxify will also be out of commission.
- When deploying Praxify, we are also pushing out Cortext and Baystate Mobile App store, if you don't already have these on your device. Check out the Baystate Mobile App Store for multiple other useful Baystate developed or endorsed mobile apps.
- We also push out a shortcut to "Praxify Feedback"; use this icon any time you have questions or feedback regarding your Praxify use.
- If you don't already use fingerprint or facial recognition to access your device, set it up in iPhone/iPad settings to make it faster to get into CIS.
Q: Why are we not using Cerner’s mobile apps?
A: We are always looking for the best tools for our users. We have 50+ users of Cerner’s FetaLink mobile app. We continue to consider features & costs of Cerner’s PowerChart Touch mobile app
Q: Is Praxify available for other devices than Apple iOS (iPhone or iPad)?
A: No. This may come in the future, but no plans have been announce
Q: Can I use Praxify on my Apple Laptop?
A: Currently, No. Praxify is only available for Apple iOS devices (iPhone or iPad)
Q: Praxify is running slow, is there a way to improve speed?
A: To improve performance we recommend making filter changes to the summary screen.
Within Praxify go to the Settings Icon (bottom of screen) --> “Summary Screen” --> “Inpatient” --> Toggle off categories that you don’t need routinely --> Select Save in the top right corner.
Each category makes a separate call into the CIS database, so limiting the number of calls should help.